Saturday, January 15, 2011

Convenient Excuses

Well, I didn't do too well this week. It was a looooong exhausting week. One of my New Years' Resolution is to be in bed by 10:00. I haven't been doing terribly well with that either and I think I'm coming down with a cold. OK enough complaining! I mention this only because I didn't get all my runs in this week. It was getting late and I was nearing my 10:00 deadline. My ankle has been achy so I thought I would take it easy and not push it until I can get over 10 miles for one run. Being tired and having an achy heel was a convenient excuse for me this week. It was also rather cold out! Monday we got a bunch of snow so I shoveled out the driveway by hand. That was good arm work for me.

My schedule was 3, 4, 3, 6. I got the 4 mile run in, but missed the two 3 mile runs. I also finished the 6 mile run with Rachael since Bill has had a respiratory yuck. It has been bitter cold out so I ran the 4 miles on the treadmill. Today completed the 6 miles. Rachael didn't want to go around the Ethanol Loop so we just ran laps in town. I didn't know exactly how far we went, but I'm guessing it was about 6 miles.

Again, both runs were great once I got out there. I feel strong, like I could keep going forever, but have to consciously keep myself back. I think I am gaining speed, too. I am not super fast, but I think I am faster than I was last year. I have consciously been doing spurts of faster running in the middle of a run. On the 4 mile run, I sped up during the commercials and then ran at least a min longer. On the "big" run today I ran faster the last mile and pushed a sprint the last block. The problem with the run today was it was outside and the streets were full of snow and slush so it was like running through soupy sand; it was just hard to get a grip on the road. That made a good workout.

When I got done today I took my hat off and there were icicles hanging from my hair! I think it was cold out there. My gatorade was also getting slushy.

Total mileage this week: 11

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when you are feeling tired, it is good to take a break so you don't overtrain. I am glad you are having good runs when you get out and it is fun to see one's speed increase!! Now just work harder at getting to bed by 10pm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the comments! Yeah, there's a reason I gave myself a bedtime. Life is getting really crazy this year. I just mapped out our route on mapmyrun and it was actually SEVEN miles! We must have been going like crazy because I was just guessing and looking at my watch - 7 miles in about 50-55 min. I think I could have run with you the other night! That's a lot of laps around Jewell. I've really been pushing to save some for the end rather than just running to complete a run this time around. I also think the sudden spurts of running are helping.

    ReplyDelete